Modulus Saturday Afternoon | Ravel & Bielawa
SATURDAY OCTOBER 2, 2010
HERITAGE HALL | 3102 MAIN STREET (AT EAST 15th, IN EAST VAN), VANCOUVER | Google map
Bar open at 7:00PM | Concert starts at 8:00PM
Don’t miss this gorgeous afternoon concert at Heritage Hall.
Writing about the “deft combination of Romantic, minimalist, and avant-garde influences” in composer Lisa Bielawa’s music, The New Yorker blog posted about a recent premiere that “Bielawa walked into the hall as a professional, but she may well have walked out a star: the piece caused that kind of excitement.”
Discover the beauty of Lisa Bielawa’s music alongside two mesmerizing classics by Maurice Ravel: the Sonata for Violin & Cello and Chansons madécasses. This intimate chamber music programme features seven extraordinary musicians:
- Susan Narucki, Grammy Award-winning soprano
- Dale Barltrop, violinist and concertmaster with the Vancouver Symphony
- Ariel Barnes, cellist and a leading soloist and chamber musician
- Laura Barron, one of North America’s greatest flutists
- François Houle, one of Canada’s finest — and most diverse — clarinetists
- Rena Sharon, a Canadian pianist described as a “national treasure”
- Rachel Iwaasa, one of Vancouver’s most remarkable contemporary pianists
Maurice Ravel’s Sonata for Violin & Cello
with Dale Barltrop (violin) and Ariel Barnes (cello)
Lisa Bielawa’s Wait for solo piano with drone
with Rachel Iwaasa (piano)
Lisa Bielawa’s Hurry
with Susan Narucki (soprano), Laura Barron (flute), François Houle (clarinet), Dale Balrtrop (violin), Ariel Barnes (cello), and Rachel Iwaasa (piano)
Maurice Ravel’s Chansons madécasses
with Susan Narucki (soprano), Laura Barron (flute), Ariel Barnes (cello) and Rena Sharon (piano).
Music on Main invites you to
Late Nights at Latitude
After each concert, come hang out with musicians and audience members at Latitude Restaurant & Wine Bar. Show your Modulus Festival ticket stub and receive 15% off your food bill.
Every night of the festival, from 10:30 PM until closing.
3250 Main Street, one block south of Heritage Hall