Marketing Manager Job Description
Reporting directly to the Artistic Director (AD), and working closely with the Artistic Planning & Operations Manager, the Marketing Manager (MM) is responsible for the overall management and implementation of the organization’s marketing and communications initiatives. The MM also provides leadership and vision to the organization by working with the Music on Main team on the development of long- and short-term strategic goals.
Music on Main is open to working with the right candidate for this role, whether it means that person being a full-time or part-time employee, or a contract worker. Please apply if you are open to any of these options.
The MM supports key marketing and communications goals and priorities, and develops systems for their implementation. They follow the model of build-measure-learn, which includes testing, reporting and refining marketing and communication tools. Along with other staff, the MM supports healthy relations with audiences, artists, donors, sponsors, public and private funders, Board, and other key stakeholders. The MM attends Music on Main concerts. The duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Focusing on using audience research and techniques to expand awareness of Music on Main’s activities locally, nationally and internationally;
- In collaboration with the AD, creating, implementing and managing annual marketing and communications plan, including copy writing, social media, media relations, promotions, and weekly e-mail marketing;
- Overseeing design, publishing and distribution of all digital marketing, fundraising, and other public-facing material;
- Preparing and editing concert programs;
- Tracking and reporting marketing campaign results to the Music on Main team; and
- Recruiting and supervising external marketing contractors and marketing volunteers.
- In collaboration with the AD, creating and implementing a communications policy;
- Providing vision for and managing external communications;
- Working on the satellite communications plan in collaboration with the Music on Main team;
- Ensuring public and private funders, sponsors, and donors are recognized in external communications in consultation with the Music on Main team;
- Implementing and managing all social media, media relations, and promotions;
- Supporting audience, artist, donor and funder relations at events with the Music on Main team; and
- Working with the Digital Content Strategist to develop compelling and engaging video content.
This position includes a lot of on-site work. The MM is expected to be present at concerts and events, and some work in the office in downtown Vancouver. Music on Main is open to a discussion about a hybrid (on-site and remote working) model.
This is a full-time position, generally working Monday to Friday, 10:00AM-6:00PM. However, during production periods, the work of the organization demands flexibility, and may require you to work flexible hours, evenings, and weekends to meet objectives.
This is a full-time position with an annual salary between $52,000, a full comprehensive benefits package following probation, and generous paid vacation. Music on Main is proud to be a certified Living Wage employer.
Part-time employees or contractors will be offered a pro-rated salary based on the above.
$52,000+comprehensive benefits following probation (pro-rated if not full-time)
You’re an exceptional communicator who strives for clarity and inspires people with your words and actions. You love meeting new people and strive to maintain relationships for years. You’re a motivated self-starter with a passion for the performing arts, and you’re excited to help create Music on Main’s events, meeting audience and artists. You thrive working collaboratively, and you’re motivated when working independently.
You’re a creative, ambitious professional who is passionate about storytelling and the performing arts. You’ve worked in a related position for a minimum of three years. You find a certain magic in deadlines, and your propensity to plan is your magic wand. Your love of grammar is contagious. Your writing grabs attention. Your communication and interpersonal skills allow you to make lasting connections with colleagues, audience members, and artists. Your familiarity with software like Illustrator, InDesign, and Premiere Pro lets you edit content in a breeze. Smashing sales targets is your superpower. Your curiosity propels inventive campaigns and insightful research.
Commitment to Equity
Music on Main prioritizes equity, diversity, and inclusion in all its forms. We encourage applications from members of groups that are historically, persistently, and systemically underrepresented including: Indigenous, Black and people of colour; people identifying as LGBTQ2AI+ and/or non-binary; people living with visible and invisible disabilities; and members of other equity seeking groups. While Music on Main does not offer child care, we offer a flexible work environment and encourage applications from parents with young children.
If a barrier exists for you to approach this process, please reach out to us and we will work to make it accessible for you.
About Music on Main
Music that brings us together. That’s Music on Main’s goal. We present top-flight classical, new, and genre-bending music in environments that are intimate and social. Since 2006, the organization has developed internationally lauded programming, featuring more than 1,700 musicians, over 700 events, 130+ world premieres, and nearly 1 million on-line views.
Independent and vibrant, Music on Main strives for game-changing production values, rock-solid administration and financial management, enhanced audience-artist interactions, and industry-leading marketing, fundraising, and digital programs. Our work culture thrives on co-operation, respect, and kindness while nurturing individual and group development. Our offices are in downtown Vancouver at The Post at 750 where Music on Main and its team participate as members of the 110 Arts Cooperative.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to Shayna Goldberg at [email protected] by July 26, 2023, with the subject line “Marketing Manager Candidate.” In your cover letter, please explain why you are an excellent candidate for this position.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. We look forward to hearing from you!